Friday, December 19, 2008

learning through experience

I have neglected this site shamefully, so apologies to both Sarah and Linda.
I kept faithfull to the connectivism and read many valuable papers. I'm still unclear that connectivism, through neural psychology, chaos theory and advanced constructivism is a new theory of learning.

I have been in Melbourne, Australia recently, connecting physically with colleagues in the vocational sector (TAFE) who have strategic government support for Recognition of Prior Learning through a Skills recognition programmes, the development of neighbourhood Skillstores, work allocation for RPL co-ordinators (who could be either adminstrators or academics) and training of assessors.
What is being acknowledge is that not all learning comes through formal accredited training programmes. (and this links with the connectivist notions around individual searches etc). However, the publicity is targeted at not only those who forward for this process but also their managers, on the grounds that it makes good business sense to have staff credentialed.
For the staff in TAFE it is allowing some interesting spin-offs.Those who have an interest in this way of recognising excepriential learning can have it included in their work load and they, through the number of completions, appear highly productive. It gives them time to develop resources and particularly online teaching materials. Also, the work satisfaction increases. What a thought.
Are there areas where this might be a siky practice? (I Australia, Nurses, electricians and plumbers believe it is so).

4 comments:

DaveB said...

"siky practice"? I guess it's a typo but I can't figure out what you mean Willie.

willie campbell said...

e. "risky: is what I intended. those occupations are highly regulated and are unwilling to allow recognition of current competency through workplacfe observations etc get someone to the full qualification. Can you think of other occupations that might have the same concers? I suspect that where there is a high helath/sfaety risk there is some justification for this. at a local level I consdier Firdt Aid, Food Hygeine to be non-negotiatbles.
Willie

willie campbell said...

again, many typos. I trust you can make sense of this Dave. The issue is a saaety one- what are the risks in the occupation and what can be seen to sign off "safety"?

DaveB said...

Yup, I can make sense of that. Typo's are part of the net - I just got stuck on 'risky' thanks.