Sunday, June 10, 2012

I am currently exploring ways and means to develop suitable stimulus materials for our APL candidates to reflect on what makes a sustainable practioner in their sepcific disciplines, occupationbs and professions. I'm pondering Sam Mann's (the green graduate. 2011. p38) statement: "Sustainability is about context and the big picture (systems thinking, ethics, evaluating change,scientific and creative paradigms) and a few methodologies.(eg. carbon footprinting,as appropriate). We can offer a bottom line foir each discipline. A sustainable practitionere will be succesful when they support people and nature in their actions by: a) enabling people to meet their own and future generations' needs in an equitable way; b) causing no harm to nature; c) consuming resources at a rate at which nature replaces them; d) ensuring nature is not subject to materials it cannot process. I'm hoping some folk will attempt to develop a statement about themselves as a sustainable practitioner in the (particular occupation or discipline) based on this bottom line. Currently I'm working with a number of Social Service candidates and am conscious that the School has chosen to highlight the social justice "equitable"sense of sustainability. Design has a much more obvious focus on consumables. I'm wondering what would make me (an educator) a sustainable practitioner?

2 comments:

peterb said...

Willie, I think that last statement is a challenge to us all. One the one hand I think I know what a sustainable educational practitioner would look like, but on the other hand the parameters of free action are severely constrained by working for a large organisation. I suppose it comes down to a compromise fed by awareness and a constant tinkering with our habits under the sharp light of new knowledge.

garywacker said...

Going online in pursuing college degrees could offer amazing benefits and advantages. Visit our website for the details.